Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One and Never Lets Them Go
It is often said that the road to rejection is paved with bad beginnings.
Agents and editors agree that improper beginnings are the single biggest barrier to publication. Why?
If a novel or short story has a bad beginning, then no one will keep reading. It’s just that simple.
In HOOKED, author Les Edgerton draws on his experience as a successful fiction writer and teacher to
help you overcome the weak openings that lead to instant rejection by showing you how to successfully use the ten core components inherent to any great beginning. You’ll find:
• Detailed instruction on how to develop your inciting incident
• Keys for creating a cohesive story-worthy problem
• Tips on how to avoid opening gaffes like overusing backstory
• A rundown on basics like opening scene length and transitions
• A comprehensive analysis of more than twenty great opening lines from novels and short stories.
Plus, you’ll discover exclusive insider advice from agents and acquiring editors on what they look for in a strong opening. With HOOKED, you’ll have all the information you need to craft a compellimng beginning that lays the foundation for an irresistible story.